This week Blizzard introduced a new build to the PTR, with Patch 4.1. One of the things Blizzard wants to lok at is to bring AoE damage of classes closer together. Hence the first new changes are basically a bit improved healing for Restoration Shamans and redesigned AoE for Elemental & Enhancement Shamans. Lets have a look at that.
Patch Notes 4.1 Preview
Lets take a look at the official Patch Notes at first:
To start, we want to do a better job of balancing the AoE power of the different damage-dealing specs. You can expect to see some changes to this end made throughout the testing process.
- Fire Nova has been redesigned and decoupled from shaman Fire totems. Instead, it now pulses the Fire Nova effect from each target that is afflicted by the shaman’s own Flame Shock debuff. It now damages all enemies except the target hit by Flame Shock. The ability’s cooldown has been reduced to 4 seconds, down from 10.
- Magma Totem now lasts for 60 seconds, up from 21.
- Stoneclaw Totem’s area-of-effect threat pulse no longer affects critters.
- Earthquake is no longer a channeled spell. It now has a 2-second cast time, lasts for 10 seconds, and has a 10-second cooldown. Its damage has been reduced by 40% from its channeled version.
- Improved Fire Nova has been redesigned and replaced by a talent called Seasoned Winds. When an enemy spell cast is successfully prevented with Wind Shear or Grounding Totem, the shaman gains magical resistance (in an amount equal to what a protection totem/aura would grant, stacking with such buffs) to the spell school(s) of the interrupted spell (except for Holy spells), lasting 10 seconds.
In a Nutshell
After casting a Flame Shocks at a target we can detonate the Flame Shock to all other targets in a 10y (15 y, glyphed) radius. If you use Flame Shock on multiple targets, each one of them will detonate to all other targets in Range.
Glyphed Flame Shock will become quite nice, it should be possible to get up to 4 – 5 Flame Shocks up and then get massive AoE damage this way – since you will be able to get 4-5 Fire Novas off each hitting all other targets. Also it is very nice to no longer having to pay so much attention to Magma Totem.
The Fire Nova damage itself seems to be a bit lower, but I guess that is the price for its 4 second cooldown.
I have put up a Video on YouTube since it is always nice to see this kind of changes in action:
[youtube width=“640″ height=“385″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvrMoT8PVsU[/embed]
It is probably a bit early to judge too much from all this and the displayed numbers are probably bound to change, since 4.1 is in a very early change. It is a copy of Myrddin (average Itemlevel 362).